It’s looks like hockey could be leaving Atlanta for Canada next season. And doesn’t that just seem right anyway? I mean, c’mon. Yes, I know the Sharks of San Jose and Lightning of Tampa Bay are battling in their respective conference finals, but Nashville and Atlanta never seemed quite logical to me. And, no, I’m not going to talk hockey, because I am not educated enough. Therefore, I will spew ignorance and poorly-constructed arguments based on perception. Embrace it.
What I know…I loved the Rangers as a young buck. I appreciate playoff hockey now for all its phenomal-ness. And nobody loves their icemen as much as Canadians. So, by the transitive property of hockey relativity, I ascertain that the Winnipeg getting a hockey franchise back is probably a good thing. So, since I can’t talk about what may transpire on the ice, I can talk names. Quite simply, what are we going to call these Winnipeg skaters?
1. Not the Thrashers: I’m pretty sure the Thrashers name will die along the route North. And, really, why not? What the hell is a Thrasher anyway?
2. Not the Jets: The Winnipeg Jets had a great logo. The commercial Jet with the hockey stick “J?” Splendid. Chances are, though, the Winnipeg faithful will want a new identity this go-around.
3. Manitoba to Lead?: One thing to consider may be a new surname as well. Winnipeg is the capital of Manitoba which just sounds more intimidating and ominous doesn’t it? “We have to go into Manitoba for a seven-game series…” Has a foreboding ring to it. Plus, who doesn’t love alliteration — especially with m’s? The Manitoba Marauders. Or, of course, ummm, the Moose if you’re into stealing.
4. Winnipeg Warriors: While we’re going with alliteration, Warriors are always tough. Nobody would doubt the strength of a Warrior. Just ask Golden State?
5. Winnipeg River Gnats, Lakers, Red Raiders: I’ve never been to Winnipeg. Wikipedia tells me rivers. Several. One called the Red River. Plus, the Earth’s 11th largest freshwater lake. I’ve not got a lot to work with here. Help me out, people.
So, you’re starting a hockey franchise in Winnipeg. You once had the Jets. You’re adopting the Thrashers. There are seats to fill, a brand to market and merchandise to sell. What’s in a name? A heckuva lot, actually. So, what’s your call?
For me, I wouldn’t mind the Winnipeg Whalers. A tribute to another forgotten city and franchise. It has a nice ring to it. I’m pretty sure Winnipeg has nothing to do with whaling, but why not. The Winnipeg Whale. Talk amongst yourselves. I just hope they deliver an NHL team to these hockey-fiendin’ folks.
Filed Under: NHL
About the Author: Cecilio's Scribe is the founder of The Legend of Cecilio Guante and a generally pessimistic fan of the Mets, Jets, Knicks and Rangers. A fine NYC-based gentlemen who hones his marketing skills as his primary trade by day. Husband, chef, father of a newborn and after-hours blogger by night. Proud alum of the mighty Big Red of Cornell. University. Hot sauce devotee. Staunch protester of the continued wussifcation of American sports. Sometimes I rhyme slow, sometimes I rhyme quick.